1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup, optional
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1) Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving room for expansion; the mixture will bubble and grow.
2) Stir to combine; it's OK if the mixture isn't perfectly smooth.
3) Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour; the mixture will begin to bubble. You can cook the waffles at this point, or refrigerate the batter overnight to cook waffles the next day.
4) Preheat your waffle iron. Spray with non-stick vegetable oil spray, and pour 2/3 to 3/4 cup batter (or the amount recommended by the manufacturer) onto the center of the iron. Close the lid and bake for the recommended amount of time, until the waffle is golden brown. It takes us 5 to 6 minutes, using our 7" Belgian-style (deep-pocket) waffle iron.
5) Serve immediately, or keep warm in a 200°F oven. Serve with berries and whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: about 4 Belgian-style (deep-pocket) 7" round waffles.
Serving Size: 1 large waffle Servings Per Batch: 4 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480 Calories from Fat: 190 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0.5g Cholesterol: 145mg Sodium: 520mg Total Carbohydrate: 60g Dietary Fiber: 2g Sugars: 16g Protein: 14g